Subscribe|Advertise|Contact Us|Order Photos

Generally Speaking – Columns

Generally Speaking is the Voyageur's forum for columns, cartoons, and letters to the editor. Skeeter Tales by Joel Seibel is our very own locally produced cartoon. Columns include "Wright News" by Jennie K. Hanson, "Villa Vista News" by Renee Klejeski and "Slices of Life" by Jill Pertler. Views expressed in columns, cartoons, and letters represent the views of the authors.

 

news photo
Other Columns

Too big to prosecute

A Surprise Ruling

An earworm for the eye

Trump's rise

Manners MIA

The transgender bathroom

Everything old is new again

It's come home to roost

It is easy being green?

The one that didn't get away

» Jennie Hanson's Wright/Cromwell News – online

That lucky old sun …

Remember this song?
“Up in the mornin’
Out on the job
Work like the devil for my pay
But that lucky old sun got nothin’ to do
But roll around heaven all day”

Wouldn’t it be nice to have that for a job description? The sun performs its job with no accountability. There is much discussion about global warming. The sun doesn’t get blamed. An estimated 90 percent of skin aging is caused by the sun and about 90 percent of nonmelanoma skin cancers are associated with exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun (skincancer.org). Does the sun get blamed? No. The pressure is placed on us to use sunscreen, wear hats and seek the shade.

In fact, think of the credit the sun gets – “Good Day Sunshine” – “I’m in love and it’s a sunny day,” or “Mister sun, make it fine, shine on down for this baby of mine,” (Beatles and Paul Revere and the Raiders, respectively).

Maybe it’s a good thing the sun doesn’t take any action. What would happen if the sun would zap politicians who say, “I love under-educated people,” or “(wiped my server) Like with a cloth?” It might be the only way these ...

For the rest of this story and more, pick up this week's Voyageur Press.

news photo
Other Columns

A Surprise Ruling

An earworm for the eye

Trump's rise

Manners MIA

The transgender bathroom

Everything old is new again

It's come home to roost

It is easy being green?

The one that didn't get away

An eye-opening pep talk

» Jennie Hanson's Wright/Cromwell News – online

Too big to prosecute

Several years ago there was a case very similar to the one investigated by the FBI against Hilary Clinton. The state’s attorney general explained why it was decided not to prosecute a very prominent individual; First of all it would be almost impossible to select an impartial jury, second the odds of a non-guilty verdict were about 40 percent, third the odds of a hung jury were about 50 percent and, lastly, the odds of a guilty verdict were only 10 percent.

It is very difficult to get a guilty against a well-known person as demonstrated in the O.J. Simpson trial. There are just too many people who will side with known people whether it is sports heroes, movie stars or politicians.

In the July 6, 2016, issue of the Wall Street Journal’s Review & Outlook it published, Mr. Comey spent nearly all of his media appearance laying out the multiple ways in which Mrs. Clinton’s use of a private server for official State Department business had violated official policy and jeopardized America’s secrets. Yet at the end he declined to recommend prosecution because her behavior was merely “extremely careless” rather than “grossly negligent” as the law requires. This is a rhetorical distinction without a difference that deserves to be mocked.
Mr. Comey’s facts grossly – if we
...

For the rest of this story and more, pick up this week's Voyageur Press.

news photo
Other Columns

An earworm for the eye

Trump's rise

Manners MIA

The transgender bathroom

Everything old is new again

It's come home to roost

It is easy being green?

The one that didn't get away

An eye-opening pep talk

Understanding "The law"

» Jennie Hanson's Wright/Cromwell News – online

A Surprise Ruling

United States District Judge Scott Skavdahl issued a surprise ruling on June 21, 2016. The ruling was to do with “fracking” – a process of injecting water, sand and chemicals into a well to break up dense rock and release oil and natural gas.

Judge Skavdahl was nominated by President Obama in 2011 and approved by Congress. On the issue of fracking Judge Skavdahl said, “The issue before the court wasn’t whether fracking is good or bad for the environment or the citizens of the United States, but rather whether Congress had given the Interior Department the authority to regulate the Practice. The Interior Department’s rule is in excess of its statutory authority and is contrary to law.”

The reason that one has to believe that this “opinion” will go all the way to the Supreme Court is that, if it stands, it is a ruling that makes clear the limit of a president’s power in a time when Congress is “unwilling or unable” to agree on legislation. If this ruling stands, it makes ...

For the rest of this story and more, pick up this week's Voyageur Press.

__________
__________
__________
Gilby's Nursery and Orchard

Cinnie Smith link Advertise online! Advertise online! Advertise online! Advertise online!